Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology
Prof. Loye Holmes Miller (1874-1970) US zoologist, palaeontologist (subsp. Molothrus aeneus, syn. Puffinus lherminieri).
● “Miller’s Emerald was first described by M. Bourcier of Paris ...the specific name of Milleri being adopted by him from the late Mr George Loddiges’ MSS. It is not known why Mr Loddiges gave the bird this specific appellation, unless it was from a desire to perpetuate the name of a surgeon in the Royal Navy, who paid considerable attention to the Hummingbirds while stationed on the Pacific side of South America” (Gould 1861). Michael Watkins in litt., believed that the person commemorated was William Miller (1796-1882) an engraver and water-colourist who illustrated many plants from the Loddiges' nursery (subsp. Amazilia versicolor).
● Prof. Loye Holmes Miller (1874-1970) US zoologist, palaeontologist (Chendytes, syn. Molothrus bonariensis, Mycteria).
● Aleksandr Yakovlevich Miller (1868-1940) Russian diplomat, Consul in Persian Baluchistan 1900-1901, Consul-Gen. in Mongolia 1913-1916, Consul in Bukhara 1917 (subsp. Dendrocopos syriacus).
● Leo Edward Miller (1887-1952) US collector in tropical America 1910-1917 (Grallaria, subsp. Manacus vitellinus, Microxenops).
● Waldron De Witt Miller (1879-1929) US zoologist (Polytmus).