Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology
L. pacificus peaceful < pax, pacis peace; facere to make. The Pacific Ocean was so-named by the Portuguese explorer Fernão de Magalhães or Magellan in 1520, contrasting its calm waters with the stormy seas of Cape Horn The toponym refers to islands in the Pacific Ocean as well as localities on Pacific Ocean coasts.
● New Caledonia; ex “Pacific Shrike” of Latham 1781 (syn. Aplonis striata).
● New South Wales, Australia; ex “Pacific Heron” of Latham 1785 (Ardea).
● Pacific Ocean; ex “Pacific Petrel from the island of Euopoa” of Latham 1785 (Ardenna).
● Erroneous TL. Friendly Is. (= Hawaii); ex “Great Hook-billed Creeper” of Latham 1782 (Drepanis).
● Tonga Is.; ex “Ferruginous-vented Pigeon” of Latham 1783 (Ducula).
● Erroneous TL. Friendly Isles, Pacific Ocean (= Jamaica) (syn. Geotrygon versicolor).
● Botany Bay, New Holland; ex “Pacific Paroquet (var.)” of Phillip 1789 (syn. Glossopsitta concinna).
● Tahiti; ex “Pacific Rail” of Latham 1785 (Hypotaenidia).
● Pacific Islands; ex “Pacific Thrush” of Latham 1783 (syn. Lalage maculosa).