Families overview for this order
- Medium-sized to very large birds with long, curved bill surmounted by hollow casque; broad, rounded wings and long tail.
- Afrotropical and Oriental; marginal in Australasian.
- Mainly forest; also woodland and savanna.
- Medium-sized birds with long, thin, decurved bill, prominent erectile crest, broad rounded wings, and short but powerful legs.
- Palearctic, Afrotropical and Oriental Regions.
- Open country with patches of bare earth or short grass; needs trees, walls or buildings with cavities.
- Medium-sized arboreal birds, generally black, often iridescent, with or without white in wings and tail; bill forceps-like, usually decurved, specialized for obtaining arthropod prey in fissures and cracks in tree bark.
- Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Wooded habitats, from tropical lowland rainforest to arid bush country.